-
 
 The History of Bay Side Home~  
 
 
  • Before there was a "Home" in Barrington Township, the less fortunate were taken care of by community members who provided their room and lodging and were in turn paid by the Municipality on a yearly basis.
 
  •  On March 17, 1887 the Municipality of Barrington purchased the property of the Late Thomas W. Wilson for the sum of $1500 as a municipal home for the poor.
 
  •  This site was well suited for such an endeavor because in addition to the homestead it had a large open field suitable for cultivation, and a woodlot.  It also had a magnificient view of the bay and the neighbouring settlement.  On the premises there were a stable and two outbuildings, suitable for workshops, and all were in good repair.
 
  • That summer the homestead underwent extensive renovations and with the addition of an ell, it took on a rather stately hospital-like appearance. 
 
  • Each bedroom was made large enough for two beds, with the exception of one.  The main attic was a long room which could be used as extra sleeping quarters if needed.
 
  • On October 3, 1887 the first residents moved into the new home, the youngest resident being only four years old.
 
  • Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Purdy were appointed as keeper and matron of the Barrington Alms, and their salary was paid by the municipality.  
 
  •  Prior to 1967 the "Alms" house was known as the Home for the Aged.
 
  • On October 1, 1972 changes were made in the administration of the Home and Mr. Curtis Peterson was hired as Administrator.
 
  • In 1973 the Municipal Council decided to build Bay Side Home to replace the old home, which had become outdated.
 
  • The new facility housing 30 residents, officially opened on November 2, 1975 and was administered by the Board of Directors, consisting of members appointed by the Barrington Municipal Council and the Clark's Harbour Town Council.
 
  • In 2000, Bay Side Home experienced a mold problem throughout the facility, resulting in all thirty residents being relocated to other similiar facilities on a temporary basis.
 
  • A complete retrofit was conducted during 2000 & 2001.
 
  • In September 2001 Bay Side Home re-opened as a twenty two bed facility.  Eight former residents were admitted to the Barrington or Shelburne Group Homes.
 
  • In 2006 Bay Side Home transferred from being under the auspices of the Department of Community Services to the Department of Health.
 
  • With great community support and many years of planning and negotiating, ground was broke in an official "Sod Turning" event on September 15th, 2009.
 
  • The work on the new expansion began in November of that year.
 
  • In early June of 2011, the Home's residents began to move into the new facility. The first to make the new extension 'home' were those residents from the existing facility who wished to make the move into the new expansion.
 
  • By late summer all 62 residents were at home in the newly expanded facility.
 
  • The community continues to show their support of the residents of Bay Side Home, and the expanded home is a source of pride to one and all within the Municipality of Barrington and the Town of Clarks Harbour.